Saturday, May 7, 2011

Giant Size Life

My childhood was filled with tons of memories of me riding bikes. In fact, I can still remember how ecstatic I was when I brought my first bike home from the store. This banana seat bike, I did ride the entire day until I had mastered the capricious art of pedaling and steering.

On our visit to Giant bike, I was transcended back to childhood when I spent my summer days traveling up and down the streets soaking up as much sun and fun as humanly possible. Although Giant bikes provide you with as much fun as you would like, it is much more than just bike company; Giant bike’s goal is to build a cycling lifestyle for Taiwan and for the world. The benefit of a cycling lifestyle offers you and healthy and fit future.

While touring the production facility in Taichung our group was allowed to take a look of how the Giant bikes are created. The production style resembles that of the “the new kid on the block” Toyota Motor company. At Giant, the employee’s on the production line work skillfully with help from their neighbor. The machines reminded me of Willie Wonka the way each one ticked and tocked and led each component to a further station nearer to completion.

In the presentation our speaker talked about the three revolutions that Giant faced throughout their climb to one of the leading bike manufactures’; In the early eighties they faced their most detrimental scare when Schwinn, the leader in bike sales, decided to spread their manufacturing base across industry. This put Giant in a position where they had an option to fold em or step up and evolve; they chose the latter.

Giant is a solid company that has a clear direction, and has a solid footing in the cycling community for years to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment